Parent and Student Resources

Homeless Student Community Resources 

A student is “homeless” if residing in emergency or transitional shelter or living in a local motel. They can also be homeless if they were evicted, their home was foreclosed on, they’re fleeing domestic violence, or there was a house fire and they are “temporarily” displaced. The temporariness of the situation is what determines their “homeless status” in a doubled up situation.  
Macomb Resource Brochure
File Size: 178 kb
File Type: pdf
Download File

Shelter Referrals:

If a student and/or family need shelter please have parents contact shelters listed on the Macomb Resource brochure. They need to call EVERY day and take the opening as soon as it comes. This is not a reservation system, it’s first come – first serve. 

Referrals for housing:
Jen Kozlowski, Housing Resources Specialist @ Macomb Homeless Coalition: 586-285-0402
Community Housing Network: 866-282-3119
Michigan Housing Locator website: 

Referrals for food:

United Way or Macomb County Emergency food bank: 211
Hope Center of Macomb (by appt. only): 586-294-4673
St. Vincent de Paul: 877-788-4623 

Referrals for utility assistance IF the family has a “shut off” notice:

The person’s DHS worker
MCCSA Community Action Centers (see brochure)
Salvation Army (see brochure)
St. Vincent de Paul: 877-788-4623 

Referrals for EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE (house fire):

Red Cross Disaster Relief: 313-833-4440
Salvation Army – Mt. Clemens: 586-469-6712
Salvation Army – Warren: 586-754-7400 

Macomb County Foster Care:

Jennifer Eagling: 586-226-5608 or 

Other Macomb County community referrals go to:

For Clothing, medical, dental, free meals, transportation, etc: